Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Some thoughts on my mind

Today I've been thinking about all Claire has to go through. She goes through a lot every day in our normal routine, but today a few extras were added on top.

Because of the virus she got a few weeks ago, she's on yet another medication that we have to rub around in her mouth--getting it all over her gums, tongue, and cheeks. The antibiotics for her virus kills some good bacteria, along with the bad, and therefore, we rub this in her mouth to prevent her from getting a yeast infection or thrush in her mouth while she's on the antibiotic.

"Why do you have to do that to me, Mommy? I HATE this med!!! It tastes terrible and makes me throw up every time you rub it on my tongue. Four times a day, is it really that necessary?!"

Claire was exposed to shingles by one of her fellow dialysis friends last week. Claire is that only patient who hasn't had chicken pocks (shingles is a regeneration of the chicken pocks...so if you'd had chicken pocks, it's likely you have antibodies already build up and won't get the shingles). She got her chicken pock vaccine but has not yet build up any antibodies for it. She could break out with the shingles any time within the next two weeks. Because of this, she is in isolation at the Kidney Center. She has to be covered as we walk into the Kidney Center, we are in a separate room from everyone else, and any one who walks in (nurses) has to wear a yellow cover up for the cloths, gloves, and a mask (as to prevent spreading the disease to any one else). We don't even know if she will get it or not (and of course we are PRAYING she will NOT), but she still has to be in isolation for 2 weeks until she's past the stage of possibly breaking out with it.

"Why do I have to be put in this room, Mommy? My favorite part about being on dialysis is interacting with all my other friends on dialysis, waving to the nurses, and talking to everyone who walks into the room. I bring a smile to their face and they bring a smile to mine! No one comes to talk to me like they used to. I'm confused. What did I do? And why does everyone look so scary who comes into my room? I don't like those yellow cover-ups."

And then she had to get two shots today. Her flu shot and another Hepatitis B shot. The last Hep B shot got dialysed off because she's on so much dialysis. Hopefully we can get some of it to stay in her sweet body!!

"I know what that cool, wet feeling is on my leg. You can't fool me with those alcohol swabs anymore! OUCH!! Why Mommy? Why the pain?"

Thinking about these experiences today has helped me put some things into perspective.

We go to the doctor to be healed, Baby Claire. Healed, protected, and in your case, cleansed. Healed, at least in part, through medicine that might not taste so good and may even make you throw up. Protected through shots/vaccines that flat out hurt! And cleansed from the waste that builds up in your body and cannot be removed any other way.

Physicians seem to be causing such 'hurt' in your life! But they aren't doing anything that deviates from the ultimate outcome of healing, protection, and cleansing.

So why the hurt, Baby Claire? Because we are BROKEN, each in our own way. And have great need of the Great Physician's healing, cleansing, and protective power.

Thanks Claire, for teaching me. I hope I can submit as well as you do.

7 comments:

anjie said...

so hard. She and her parents are strong!

Brice said...

eeeeee nut...thanks for the sweet words...this is my favorite post you have done...i love you!

** Adrian ** said...

I hope I can face life's challenges with as much grace & spirit as she AND you do! Your family is such an example to me!

Ryan & Keri said...

She is teaching us, and we love this little girl. What a wonderful baby you have! It is sad what she has to go through, but I think this is where we are separate from the world. The world loves their children so much that they would take away the pain for their children. Heavenly Father loves us so much that He allows us to be tried and tested and pained in order to grow and become what He wants us to be. Of course, it will always be difficult to watch our precious ones going through really long, hard trials, but it's our Father's will. Anyway, we love you. We will be praying NEA for shingles/chicken pox!!!

~adelle said...

I suggest you submit to the Ensign. There are a lot of lessons to be taught.

Rebecca said...

That was a tear jerker...You guys inspire me so much, I hope you know. That little Claire is a special one, I could tell the moment I met her. You're family is amazing. We love you!! Thanks for sharing.

Tricia said...

She is such a sweetheart. I hope I can learn that lesson from her, too.