Thursday, December 11, 2008

Lipid update

What to do what to do?

After being off her 12 hr night time PD dialysis and a night of fasting, Claire's levels did come down! Yeah, that's good...but just not good enough. Her cholesterol stayed about the same but her triglycerides came down 300 pts. to 880. STILL the normal is 119!! And in having her off PD, her other electrolyte levels got all messed up. So they started her back up again on nightly PD to get those levels back in line (which they now are), but the lipid levels are still obviously an issue. We haven't got her oxalate level back to see how being off PD affected that, but should get them next week.

And so we try a different approach. We started Claire on some fish oil, twice a day, as well as another cholesterol reducing medication called Niacine. They think these will help, but will it be enough?

Only one way to find out. We'll give it a whirl.

Any one in our family know of high cholesterol as a genetic issue?

3 comments:

** Adrian ** said...

OH--what to do is right! That is really tough. I'm so sorry!

As for your blog--I'd LOVE to help you change your blog for the holidays! I'll email you some more info to help you get started!!

I hope you guys are doing good despite the constantly changing issues you've been dealing with for the past year. I will continue to pray for your family.

Hydes said...

Natalie, I am always so sorry to hear your struggles. But yes, the cholesterol is genetic. Flax seed is a better option in my opinion then fish oil it doesn't have the bad fish taste I was able to lower mine tremendously with taking flax oil twice a day as well as a natural Cholestoff that I get at Costco. The doctors were way impressed at my levels, and did not put me on perscription drugs. Good luck.

Ryan & Keri said...

Wow. So maybe there isn't a way to win, because it sounds like you do one thing and something else is neglected. Maybe the sooner the transplant can be moved up, the sooner her little body will heal. We will continue to pray.