Most of you already know about our family and the unique trials we face. But just to make sure we're all on the same page, I want to give a quick overview of what life is like in the Skinner household. I apologize in advance for the length of this post...there's a lot to say!!
Claire and Benson were both born with an extremely rare genetic mutation in their liver that produces an excess amount of oxalate in their bodies. This disease is called Primary Hyperoxaluria Type 1. (PH1) Oxalate is normal in all of our bodies, but our liver only produces a small amount which then gets converted into whatever it needs to be. Their liver doesn't. Oxalate numbers in you and I is around 1.8. Claire's oxalate is around 64. Benson's is at 11.5. So what does excess oxalate do...it destroys.
The kidneys are the first to go because it is their job to filter waste from the body. In that filtering process, it can only handle the overload of oxalate for so long...until they've had enough and eventually fail. Claire has had kidney failure since she was 2 months old and has been on dialysis ever since. Significant oxalate deposits have also been found in her eyes and bones and is inevitably in other organs as well.
Benson's condition has not progressed as fast as Claire's. His kidneys are still functioning normal. No one knows why kidney failure happens when it does...and in fact, we wouldn't have known about Benson condition had Claire's diagnosis not been made. There are no signs of this disease...kidney failure is usually the first sign anyone has to tell them there's a problem. Biopsy of the kidney then shows the kidney saturated in oxalate crystals and it is then linked to PH1. Close monitoring of Benson's kidney and oxalate levels along with high doses of B6 vitamin (thought to help remove oxalate from the body) is his current treatment. Keeping him well hydrated (2 liters a day) is also very important as that helps keeps his kidneys clean and flushed of the oxalate.
Claire's treatment is a different story. She is currently on hemodialysis (done at the Children's Hospital) 6 days a week for 3 hours each day. Sunday truly is our day of rest!! Along with that, we do a different kind of dialysis, called pertineal dialysis, at home. She gets that done every night of the week for 12 hours (while she's sleeping). Ultimately, dialysis 24/7 would be ideal for Claire to remove the oxalate that is constantly being built up in her body. Obviously, that is not possible...so we do as much as we can! Dialysis is the only way, besides the B6 vitamin, to remove oxalate.
The ultimate cure: transplant! For Claire, getting a new kidney or liver alone will not solve the problem. She needs both. A new liver will stop the excessive oxalate production and new kidneys will allow her to be done with dialysis! With Benson, we are hoping we can salvage his kidneys by monitoring his kidney and oxalate levels closely and transplanting his liver before it causes damage. When to transplant his liver is still a big question.
And that's how things go around here!! Many questions are still unanswered but we are simply doing ALL we can to keep our beautiful kids happy and healthy (aren't we all?!!)
With all that said (and much more to come in future posts...remember that was just to catch everyone up to speed with the last 10 months of our lives!) for Clarie's one-year birthday, Sept. 8, I took our camera to the hospital to video what a day in the life of a not-so-typical one-year old was like! Since Jared and I are the only ones who take Claire to hemodialysis each day, I thought I'd give you a little insight to what it's all about. I must warn you, the video is rather long...sorry about that. Just be happy I didn't record the whole 3 hours we are there! Make sure you are sitting around with nothing else to do (ha ha) before you embark on this adventure! Later, I'll posts pictures of the pertineal dialysis we do at home to let you know what that's all about too!
Enjoy!
10 comments:
Natalie--as I am sitting here watching this video of your DARLING little Claire I am SO in awe of you guys!!! Claire is SUCH a good baby--I couldn't believe how happy she stayed through that whole video--what a great blessing!! I have said this before, but I honestly do NOT know how you do this everyday... then again I DO. I know (on a MUCH smaller scale) how it is to go through something TOUGH for a beautiful, little baby girl--I'm just lucky enough that my trial was only for six weeks instead of MONTHS & MONTHS--you are AMAZING!!! (& I hope you don't feel like I'm comparing what I went through to what YOU guys are going through because I KNOW that it's NOWHERE near the same level of what you have to deal with.) Thanks for sharing your journey with me...I am so glad that I can keep in touch with you through this blog now--I've missed you guys SO MUCH!!! Take Care! Love ya, Adrian =D
My eyes are wet and my heart is so full of love for you guys. I can't believe what a beautiful little person you have in your life. She is so good. She just hangs out while she gets poked and pulled and pushed and taped and on and on. What a little angel. She is amazing. I hope that she can get her transplants soon!!! Is she almost up to her goal weight???
You are a great mom. I knew you would be, but this proves it. WOW! What at sacrafice. I know you are doing what you have to do, but I can see you have a good attitude about it.
Give the kiddos a kiss for me!
Thanks so much for the invite! I am so excited to keep up on your sweet little family! I am always thinking of you anyway and whenever I ask my dad if he know how you are, he is a little skiddish on the details (go figure)! You and Jared are just truly amazing! Talk about going with the flow!
Natalie,
Thank you so much for the blog invite. Heston and I think about you guys all the time. We are always praying for your cute little family!
When it comes to children I am seriously the biggest baby!!! As I was reading your blog and watching the beginning of the video I couldn't hold back the tears. I don't know how you stay so strong. I seriously look up to you so much!
You are amazing! Both of your kids are SO adorable!!!!
While I was watching the video Dallin came over and got in my lap. He pointed at the screen after watching in awe for a while and said,"bae, bae" which means baby baby. Then he says, "cue!" which means cute. He said it with the funniest inflection in his voice. Like she is seriously the cutest thing he has ever seen. I would have to agree with him. Then Deklan asked when we were going to take him to your house. He asked how old Benson is, then says, "Well, I'm older dan him, and I would wike to be his fyiend."
I am really glad you got a blog set up though. It will be nice to be able to get updates on how your gorgeous family is doing!
Hi Natalie. I'm excited to see your blog. I too think of you often and pray for you and your family. Keep up the awesome work!
Natalie and Jared,
Thanks so much for keeping us up-dated with your blog. Our hearts were touched beyond belief as we watched the video and realized what you all are going through. This truly is a "new normal" for you and your sweet family. We know that Heavenly Father is aware of our needs and is blessing you and your little family. Thanks so much Natalie and Jared for taking such good care of your children and each other. You are great examples to us all and we love you!
Happy Birthday Claire and Benson!
Much love, Aunt Jenny & Uncle David
Nat!!!
I am so glad you started blogging!!! It will be awesome to hear how things are going for you guys. You and Jared are AMAZING parents. I can't imagine going through what you all have and you both have done wonderful with what is on your plate. You kids are absolutely beautiful!!!! Claire is so a MINI-YOU.
It is so hard to watch children go through their own trials. We want to just make it all better for them. You and Jared are what makes it all better for those 2 babies. I truly admire you guys.
Keep in touch, love and miis you!!!!
Thanks for the invite to your blog...now I can keep up with all the goings on with your family! Hope all is well with everyone. Take care!
Natalie, thanks for sharing this. Sometimes it's so difficult to share our struggles with others because (for me) we like to keep things in or we think we can handle it on our own. After several health trials in our first 18 months of marriage, I learned really quickly that I couldn't do it on my own and that I needed support. Plus, our trials and how we handle them strengthens each other. I have learned so much from being around you and your sweet family. I'm so amazed by your strong testimonies and your love for the Lord. Claire is like your little Angel baby. She's absolutely perfect. Thanks for letting us share apart of your miracle. We love you guys and pray for you always.
Natalie Beth (and Jared too) all I can think of is how much trust Heavenly Father has in you to be parents of such choice spirits! I always marvelled at your optimism & determination Nat and it still permeates.
Post a Comment