Claire has another infection in her blood. It's so crazy how it can happen so fast. She was doing great for the first 2 1/2 hours of her dialysis Monday. And then the Rodeo Queens came in. They come around to visit every year and Claire did not like it one bit. I think it brought back bad memories of her Santa experience. Was it the hat, the sequined shirt, the bright red lipstick, the puffy hair, or an infection? I was leaning toward the hat...but after they left, she was still not acting normal. She quickly changed from her happy, waving, and chatting/YELLING self to cranky, tired, and miserable.
Still not knowing what was causing this sudden change, the docs took blood cultures and started treating her with antibiotics, just in case. I actually didn't think it was an infection; and to be quite honest, was frustrated they were making us stay longer to do those things. Call me crazy, but I just wanted to go home and let the girl sleep. I just figured the "queen" thing set her off and she got tired and cranky. I know, I know....I was quickly humbled. In retrospect, I'm so grateful the docs did what they did and acted quickly on it. They ran the antibiotics directly through her catheter line and it takes about an hour for them to go through. She was miserable during MOST of that hour and I knew then, by the way she was breathing and her heart rate, that she had an infection.
Up to that point, the docs said we would need to be admitted to the hospital and stay at least one night so they could keep an eye on her. Again, selfish me was disappointed at the news and longed for a good nights rest at home. And then there was some good news for all of us. As the antibiotics were just about nearing completion, she almost instantaneously started feeling better. She wanted to drink, play, wave, and yell. Good signs that our little girl is "back." When she turned around so quickly, after getting the antibiotics, they agreed to let us go home, trusting we would monitor her closely and come back if anything changed. YEAH!
So today we got results from the blood cultures and they were indeed positive. The infection is right there in her catheter and will be treated with this same antibiotic for 2 weeks. Luckily, our trip to the Mayo won't have to be put on hold...as we have exactly 2 weeks before we will be out there. That's a blessing.
So the average of kids getting infections in their catheaters is about 1 a year. This is Claire's second....and we've been doing this now for 6 months. I hope that means we're all clear for the next 18 months!!
5 comments:
Thanks for inviting me to your blog. I love to hear how things are going. You have a beautiful family I love the family picture.
Natalie, I'm so glad you invited me to view your blog. I have been thinking about you a lot, and every time I see the sweet picture of Claire on my website I wonder how she is doing. You guys are going to the Mayo Clinic? What will happen there? I hope everything goes well!
I LOVED the pictures you posted of your kids....so adorable! Especially the one with Claire bawling. Classic! I'm so glad Benson is potty trained, it is a wonderful thing isn't it? How did he do in Sunbeams? I can't believe our kids are old enough to go to primary with the big kids. They grow up to fast. I'm sorry to hear about the infection. I'm glad the doctors acted fast! That is a blessing. I'm jelous my parents are going down to see you guys, I wish I could come!!
OH! I am SOO sorry to hear about Claire's infection. I haven't been on your blog for a few days, so I just read about it today. I hope she gets ALL better really soon & definitely hope you get an 18 month break from infections now! I am excited to hear about your Mayo trip!!
Love & MISS you!!
Oh man is right...we will keep praying for Claire.
Post a Comment