Tuesday, October 21, 2008

ER story update

Claire has been doing much better this weekend. We were all thinking the antibiotics would take care of the dirty work in clearing this infection from her body. She's acting well, but internally something is still amiss. Yesterday they ran blood cultures again, expecting them to come back negative--simply meaning the antibiotic is doing it's job in treating the virus and all is well! Turns out one culture was negative and one was still positive (she has 2 organisms/viruses inside). That's not good. Both infections she has should be responsive to this antibiotic, but for some reason, one of them is not responding as it should. Right after dialysis today, they sent us over to the Heart Institute for Claire to have an Echo on her heart. Basically, they hook up monitors to her heart and then do an ultrasound type thing of her heart to check for an infection. The heart is the other place an infection can go and could be the reason one of the cultures is still positive. Hopefully, that will come back negative and there won't be any problems with her heart. Should know more about the results of that echo tomorrow.

Besides the antibiotics they are giving her through her line, they are also going to start "closing" her line with antibiotics. That antibiotic will stay right there in her line so it can work to get rid of any infection even when we're away from the hospital.

They will draw blood cultures again on Thursday and if one is still positive, they will have to pull out her line. Surgery, pull line...surgery, put new line in elsewhere. Not fun. We will be praying for negative blood cultures Thursday.

8 comments:

** Adrian ** said...

I will be praying for no infection too. . . I hope the results turn out that all is ok.

Keep us posted. Love you guys!

Give Claire & Benson Boy a hug & kiss from us!

anjie said...

praying with you.

Julianne said...

We love you guys and we're praying for Claire.

TaYloRcD5 said...

we are praying for you all!!! I hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

~adelle said...

YIKES!!! You guys are going to need some good rest after all this crazy stuff. You are a champ Nat! I would love to come and help you sometime!!! Give the little girl a kiss from me and tell her to get better soon!

Always in my prayers...

Ryan & Keri said...

We will be praying too.

Brice said...

When Dad came home from Denver, all he could say was how honored he was to be your father. I hope you know how honored I am to be your brother. It seems that no matter what happens with Claire, no matter what curve balls are thrown your way, you continue to be SUPERMOM! I am in awe and complete admiration at what superb parents you and Jared are...I love your beautiful family!

Anonymous said...

You truly are amazing! I seriously put my life back into perspective every time I read your blog!
We will be praying for your family as well. I really hope that Claire can get rid of that infection soon!
You guys take care!!